The Company Registry requires that a name search be conducted and approved before the registration process of any local business.
The Business Name is the simplest business form under which one can operate a business. The Business Name is not a legal entity. It simply refers to a person who owns the business and is personally responsible for its debts.
it is important to note the following,
- Business with the word “Enterprises” at the end cannot use Initials e.g J.K and Brian Enterprises
- Names with the word “Foundation” must be registered as Companies limited by guarantee
- Names with “Groups”, “projects” and “Holdings” must be limited. (Ahadi group limited)
- Names with “Universities” must be limited. (Ahadi university limited)
- Single words are not accepted (Ahadi)
- Offensive or abusive words are not allowed either. Offensive words in vernacular (mother tongue) are not allowed either.
- Political names e.g (Nairobi youth alliance) are not allowed
- Numerics are not allowed not unless its the current year eg (2015)
- Names starting with the word “Kenya” are only reserved for the government.
- Names with ‘Church’ and ‘Ministry or Ministries’ are not allowed
- Names with “Trust”, “Foundation”, Programmes are not allowed
- The Registrar of Names does not register clubs
- Names with “Relief” are not allowed
- Names with “welfare”, Organization, Association, are not allowed.